[mythtv-users] liblirc_client not compiled into mythfrontend

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:18:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Brock Haywood <brock.haywood at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Brock Haywood <brock.haywood at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Note: we bottom post on this list for later readability of others when
>>> searching this list. (Which can be done at
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/ )

>>> It sounds like you've made good progress if irw reports the
>>> keypresses. We need to compare the output of those against your
>>> previously posted .lircrc files. Specifically I'm thinking the remote
>>> name needs to match correctly as follows:
>>>
>>> output of IRW:
>>>
>>> Matches :
>>> 0000000000001794 00 Up mceusb
>>> 0000000000001794 01 Up mceusb
>>> 0000000000001796 00 Left mceusb
>>> 0000000000001796 01 Left mceusb
>>>
>>> Doesn't Match:
>>> 0000000000001795 00 Down Hauppauge_350
>>> 0000000000001795 01 Down Hauppauge_350
>>> 0000000000001797 00 Right Hauppauge_350
>>>
>>> Snippet of .lircrc you posted previously:
>>>
>>> begin
>>>     remote = mceusb <-- matches
>>>     prog = mythtv
>>>     button = RecTV
>>>     config = R
>>>     repeat = 0
>>>     delay = 0
>>> end
>>>
>>> The lirc daemon only runs the commands or keypresses in these small
>>> stanza's if the name of the remote sending them matches. This allows
>>> multiple remotes to be used.
>>>
>>> Sorry for the misinfo on the 'try stopping the lirc daemon' - I was
>>> actually wondering if you were seeing errors on starting / stopping it
>>> and wasn't thinking clearly on the irw vs. irrecord needing it. Jarod
>>> is actually quite the expert on lirc as he's a major contributor to
>>> it. (to whom we're all exceedingly grateful.)
>>>
>>> -Johnny
>>
>> Ok, will do.
>>
>> --
>> - brock
>

> Here is the output from irw when pressing up, left, down, right, 1, 2, 3, 4,
> 5, 6, 7, 8, 9:
>
> 000000037ff07be1 00 Up mceusb
> 000000037ff07bdf 00 Left mceusb
> 000000037ff07be0 00 Down mceusb
> 000000037ff07be0 01 Down mceusb
> 000000037ff07bde 00 Right mceusb
> 000000037ff07bfe 00 One mceusb
> 000000037ff07bfd 00 Two mceusb
> 000000037ff07bfc 00 Three mceusb
> 000000037ff07bfb 00 Four mceusb
> 000000037ff07bfa 00 Five mceusb
> 000000037ff07bf9 00 Six mceusb
> 000000037ff07bf8 00 Seven mceusb
> 000000037ff07bf8 01 Seven mceusb
> 000000037ff07bf7 00 Eight mceusb
> 000000037ff07bf6 00 Nine mceusb
> 000000037ff07bf6 01 Nine mceusb
>
> Does this make sense with what is in the lircrc?
>
> --
> - brock

Yes it appears that the remote name matches so given that the lirc
daemon was started BEFORE mythtv was started you should be seeing the
menu cursor move up and down in response to the key-presses on the
remote.

You're original post said that you were ahving trouble getting lirc to
work in mythtv - are you seeing no activity at all or just unexpected
behaviour?

Lets review your /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log for mention of any
issues during startup. Here's an example problem:

2009-12-29 17:41:27.863 Using theme base resolution of 1280x720
2009-12-29 17:41:27.909 LIRC, Error: Failed to connect to Unix socket
'/dev/lircd'
                        eno: No such file or directory (2)
2009-12-29 17:41:28.196 Using the Qt painter

Here's a proper startup:

2010-01-19 08:06:15.122 Using theme base resolution of 1280x720
2010-01-19 08:06:15.148 LIRC: Successfully initialized '/dev/lircd'
using '/home/johnny/.mythtv/lircrc' config
2010-01-19 08:06:15.501 Using the Qt painter

One thing to remember is that the lirc daemon has to be reloaded and
then mythfrontend restarted when you make changes to .lircrc.

-Johnny