[mythtv-users] Graphic cards supporting VDPAU and sound over HDMI

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Tue Mar 30 10:18:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2010 at 09:02:41 +1400, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why do you want to deinterlace 1080p?
> Hmmm, that's how it sounds when you speak about something you don't really
> know anything about...
>
> What I think I meant was that I want a card that is capable of handling
> 1080p and de-interlacing 1080i with Advanced 2X.
>
> My current setup with onboard 6150 is very jerky when panning.

Actually, that reminds me of something I've been wondering about for a
while: why do we use 1080i anyway? Basically all HD displays are
progressive by nature, and it takes the same amount of bandwidth to
broadcast 1080i50 as 1080p25. So why do they do it that way? Doesn't
MPEG-2 encoding work more efficiently on progressive content, anyhow?

- Chris