[mythtv-users] Nvidia drops support for open source driver

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Mon Mar 29 15:57:34 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 06:51:06PM -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:

> On 26/03/2010 6:35 PM, Tom Lichti wrote:
> >Until this thread I didn't even know there *was* an open source
> >driver. Guess I won't miss it too much.
>
> Remember when you first installed Linux, and you had to go into your
> Xorg.conf file and change that line that read "nv" to "nvidia", or
> you had to go to the nvidia website and download the linux driver?
>
> That driver is "nv", and is (was?) the "Open Source" NVidia driver.
> All it did was provide an accelerated framebuffer. Now, however, the
> "vesa" driver is mature enough (and supported enough) that they have
> no need for "nv" anymore.

In some cases I haven't had a need for accelerated 3D so the open source
"nv" driver would have sufficed. However, the "nv" driver doesn't
support Xv (a must for playing videos) and gave me problems with S3
suspend and resume. The closed source "nvidia" driver doesn't have these
shortcomings so it's what I have been using for a while.

Nouveau is supposed to be the way going forward with regards to open
source driver for Nvidia cards. Ubuntu 10.10 will use that driver as
default. I may give that a try for applications that don't require 3D
acceleration.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-