[mythtv-users] viewer falls asleep with the EPG open - plasma burn in concerns

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 14:45:02 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:15 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:01 PM, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 19:30 -0600, Johnny Walker wrote:
>> > So the only way I can think to protect my Plasma from EPG burn-in
>> > (aside from never falling asleep) would be to re-enable it when the
>> > EPG is loaded on the screen, even if I'm still in LIVETV mode.
>> >
>> > Does this sound correct?
>>
>> Yes, sounds reasonable.
>>
>> In working on this I found the following in the code
> libmythui/screensaver-x11.cpp:
>
> if (m_timeoutInterval == -1)
>         {
>             m_timeoutInterval = GetMythDB()->GetNumSettingOnHost(
>                 "xscreensaverInterval", GetMythDB()->GetHostName(), 50) *
> 1000;
>         }
>
>         if (m_timeoutInterval > 0)
>             StartTimer();
>
> I don't seem to have 'xscreensaverInterval' in my settings table.
>
> I grepped my working copy of .22 and I don't see it mentioned anywhere
> else.
>
> The reason I'm asking is - I've put 'xset s 60 60' in my .xsessionrc file
> and somehow it's getting changed to 0 which is making my screensaver not
> happen when I'm paused.
>
> I added a call to EnableScreensaver to the NuppelVideoPlayer::Pause method
> but since 'xset q' shows it's back at 0 it does me no good. When I manually
> 'xset s 60 60' again however, it starts working as expected.
>
> Do any of you know what gives?
>
> -Johnny

Ok - I've grepped through the code for .22 lookiung for 'xset' and I don't
see where the code would be disabling the screen saver.

When I'm in Media Library --> Watch Videos - and a video ends and returns me
to that screen, the display just sits there, waiting to burn in on my Plasma
television.

If I ssh in to the frontend and run 'xset s 60 60' it starts working and
protecting my screen.

I'm really concerned about this - it seems like an odd oversight in the
functionality. Am I the only one having this issue?

-Johnny