[mythtv-users] Possible to do HDMI audio with BFG GT 220 Rev B?

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon Mar 29 11:33:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Justin The Cynical
<cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> Ozzy Lash wrote:
>> So now I wonder if the
>> HDMI can carry sound since it is plugged into the DVI port through an
>> adapter.
>> It isn't a big deal, I can use the SPDIF out of the motherboard, just
>> curious more than anything.
>
> Nope.  DVI doesn't have the lines for audio, which electrically, is the
> only real difference between HDMI and DVI.

Why is this myth so common? For an HDMI connection, the audio signal
is multiplexed with the video - there are no "lines for audio" in
either connector.

(this is the reason that boxes which accept digital audio + DVI and
output HDMI are expensive, rather than being simple passive devices)