[mythtv-users] Hauppauge 2250 causes dropped network packets

Robert Shields rwshields at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 01:23:35 UTC 2010

I have two 220s in my system and haven't noticed this (I have had no visible
LAN issues, so I never had a reason to go looking to deep though).

A good first step is to simply try the card(s) in different
slots...sometimes you get lucky and this clears up the possible conflicts.

If the problem persists, maybe look in your BIOS for a way of setting the
different interrupts or something along those lines.

I am not a huge linux know-it-all so I am not sure where to begin in the
actual OS.

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 6:57 PM, John Kasunich <jmkasunich at fastmail.fm>wrote:

> Built this PC a couple months ago.
>
> Motherboard is Asus M4A77D
> Network is the onboard NIC:
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
>
> Networking works fine when the Hauppauge 2250 PCI Express tuner
> card is not in the machine.
>
> When I installed the tuner card, I started getting 5-15% dropped
> packets.  The packets are being dropped in the very first hop,
> from the PC to my DSL router/modem.  Other PCs on the same network
> never drop packets, and removing the tuner card makes this PC start
> working fine again.
>
> The only connection I can see between tuner and NIC is that when
> the tuner is not present, the NIC is at PCI address 02:00.0, but
> when the tuner is installed, it takes the 02:00.0 address, and
> the NIC winds up at 03:00.0.
>
> Anybody heard of such a thing?  Any suggestions to diagnose?
>
> Regards,
>
> John Kasunich
>
> --
>  John Kasunich