[mythtv-users] lost my battery

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Mar 26 23:06:34 UTC 2010

On 3/26/2010 4:58 PM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> mythtv-free wrote:
>> Hello mythuser.
>> I have a problem with the small 3V battery on my MoBo. I remove it to
>> buy a new one, but I lost it!
>> Do you think that the MoBo can run without this battery?
>> Will I damage it ?
>>

> Can you lookup the motherboard type on the 'net and simply use this
> information to buy a new one ?
>
> Do you know the manufacturer and model number of your motherboard?
>
> Usually the battery is a 3.6V "coin" cell, fairly easy to obtain, even
> from a supermarket Older m'boards had solder-in types, but I haven't
> seen these for years.

er, 3.0V lithium.. They do make 3.6's, but typically the backup cells I see are 3.0V

The popular model with a lot of MB's I see is the CR2032 -- VERY popular.

You can get holders from most hobby outlets (Radio Shack might have them).

If you want, measure the holds for the soldering points.. then go on digikey and search for
"coin holder" and work on ones that hold the CR2032. I bet you'll find a holder and a cell model number so you can at least then go to the hobby outlet (Jameco.com is another good one -- or SparkFun.com)

Cheers,

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net              Web: http://www.benjammin.net

Fortune says:
Once, there was NO fun ... This was before MENU planning, FASHION
statements or NAUTILUS equipment ... Then, in 1985 ... FUN was
completely encoded in this tiny MICROCHIP ... It contain 14,768 vaguely
amusing SIT-COM pilots!!  We had to wait FOUR BILLION years but we
finally got JERRY LEWIS, MTV and a large selection of creme-filled
snack cakes!