[mythtv-users] Overlapping recordings on SAME channel w/ one tuner

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 11:25:27 UTC 2010

On 26-3-2010 0:48, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/25/2010 07:41 PM, Jeff Evans wrote:
>>> Given that virtual tuners were already built to solve this
>>> problem, the myth devs probably consider a solution to your
>>> question as a corner case.
>> Ouch Chris! Surely there are many out there still using analogue and
>> other non-DVB capture devices?
>
> IMHO, your buying additional capture cards is /immensely/ cheaper than
> the amount of code required to do what you're asking.
It's not, as the card needs to be inserted in a slot. At the end of the
number of available slots, you need a new motherboard or something to
get additional slots...

This can be solved with a dual capture cards like the pvr500, however,
there is always one program more to capture...

> If you don't have enough capture cards to record what you want, you
> need more capture cards.

Fortunately myth can handle more backends so in the end there can be a
capure card for every channel to record.

Finally there is always the wish to capture the next program.

> Please read (all 5 pages of) the thread at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/195124#195124 for a
> small sampling of some of the things you're forgetting.  Though that's
> all related to "soft padding," many of the same issues occur when
> trying to do overlapping recordings.

I have not read the thread (5 pages is to much to do in a lunchbreak).

There can be various ways to implement it. It can be live, which will be
a pane in the ass. However, it can also be part of  post processing: If
the recording starts late due to other schedules and they happen to be
on the same channel, then the last part of the previous recording can be
added at the front. For a start, this can also be done outside mythtv.