[mythtv-users] Overlapping recordings on SAME channel w/ one

Jeff Evans jeffe at tricab.com
Fri Mar 26 01:18:54 UTC 2010

> Hi Jeff. I didn't mean to sound as harsh as I did with that.
> Seriously, it came out far surlier than it sounded when I wrote
> it. I'm a chilled out guy, honest! Bloody e-mail.

No worries Chris, I knew you weren't nasty!

> Anyway. The reason I said it's a corner case is that from lurking
here for a
> while, it sounds like a design goal of myth (at least since
> multirec) is> 1:1 mapping between a file being written to disk and a tuner.
> Otherwise you've got to deal with lots more complexity in the
> scheduler so that would've another reason to do virtual
> tuners/multirec.

Yes, agreed, understood, acknowledged!

> I can totally respect costs increasing pretty quickly with
> multiple STBs/subscriptions. Providers here in AU offer cheaper
> second/third/4th box but it's a waste when you just want to
> overlap recordings. So that's not a solution.

Yep. I'm in Melbourne myself & extra STB's are discounted. I've had
two in the past, but it is way messy & overkill for overlap.

> If you could get multirec to work with your STB you'd be set -
> you could have 2 virtual tuners and set up rules with your
> overlap and the scheduler ought to just work it out. It should
> also be smart enough not to re-tune.

I will investigate the possibility of mulitrec working with analogue.
If that proves /really/ hard, I will see if using a PCI DVB-C card
with a smart card reader will work with multirec.

> If it needs a patch it would be useful for other STB users..

If by chance I come up with one, it will most certainly be made
available to all...

Thanks very much, Jeff.