[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.23rc1 upgrade experience

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Wed Mar 24 17:46:16 UTC 2010

On 10-03-24 05:31 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>> Message: 20
>> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:43:20 -0400
>> From: "Michael T. Dean"<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] MythTV 0.23rc1 Available
>> To:mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>>
>> 0.23 Release Candidate 1 Available
>>    - Only a few weeks late on our new, improved short release schedule,
>> the first Release Candidate for MythTV 0.23 is now available.
>>    - Please make sure to read the Release Notes (
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.23  ) before upgrading.
>>
>> More details athttp://www.mythtv.org/
>>
>> Distros are likely to have packages for the release candidate or
>> 0.23-fixes available shortly.
I just completed an upgrade of a combined back-end/front-end (kubuntu
10.04 (lucid) beta, Asus M3N-78VM, HD-PVR, SA-4250HD STB w/firewire
channel changing) and a front-end (Zotac IONITX-A, 720p HDMI display
with stereo audio, Sony BD Remote) to MythTV 0.23rc1.

I needed to re-apply the HD-PVR signal monitor (patches 6611/6719) or
LiveTV viewing would time out frequently before locking onto a signal.
(I had this same problem with 0.22.  Leaving the STB to "float" between
480p, 720p and 1080i I previously found that I had to add a six-second
delay after channel changes or Myth would occasionally detect the wrong
resolution.)  Also, initially I forgot to re-install the themes and
couldn't see the menu highlight bar until I did so.

The only minor issue I encountered was at one point the sound crackled
at the beginning of a recording, and then I lost sound until I re-booted
(even restarting mythfrontend didn't resolve it.)    Could be related to
the OS upgrade, but  I know I likely have a little tweaking to do as a
result of the sound changes in 0.23, so I have some playing to do before
I can say whether there's anything worth ticketing.

Other than that, 0.23rc1 compiled and is running happily under lucid for
me.  Good job, devs!  I'll go have a look at those Release Notes now  ;-)

(Oh, for those interested in Sony BD Remote control (bluetooth) support
under Lucid, I had to re-compile bluez 4.62 with kitlaan's patch, as
per: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_Setup_PS3_BD_Remote.
But the current patch applies cleanly and all my keys are working
again.   This remote is a great solution, since my frontend is bolted on
the back of my TV with no line of site.)