[mythtv-users] mythbuntu video stutter

Ramasubramanian Ramesh rramesh at ti.com
Wed Mar 24 00:36:09 UTC 2010

I have the latest mythbuntu istalled from about a month ago release. I
have 9400 GT video card with VDPAU (level2 <= 720P and
level1 > 720P) turned on for acceleration . My MB is a old AMD 939 board
with Athlon signle core 2Ghz (2GB, DDR 400). I have periodic video
stutter (about once in 10min) for about 15/30sec or so when I watch
recorded shows (HD material). I usually either pause or rewind for a few
second and stutter will go away.

I have gone through mythtv VDPAU suggestions for turning off composite,
cpu freq scaling.
I also added triple buffer. I increased video buffer in backend_setup to
large amount. Even with all this I still get the hiccups. Note that
there is no problem in watching videos of from a DVD folder (obviously
this is not HD) even from a remote machine through samba. I checked the
machine load when the stutter happens and it does not show anything more
than 20-30%

Can any one suggest what other things I can do to solve this?

Ramesh