[mythtv-users] Recording rule filter query

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Mar 23 19:19:39 UTC 2010

Tom Furie wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>  You can use a custom rule (Power Recording rule).  Look for the "Only
>>  shows with in-vision signing" and "Only shows with in-vision subtitles"
>>  example clauses.
>
>I thought that would be the answer. It's just such a nuisance to set up
>a recording rule, only to have to set up a custom rule when I discover
>that it's also being broadcast with on-screen signing.

Given the number of programs transmitted in different formats - HD vs
SD, normal vs signed, and so on. It occurs to me that it would be
useful if we could create a global "modifier" rule that would apply
to and modify all other rules.

Taking this particular situation, a global rule that would lower the
priority by 1 point (for example) could be quite handy. I've watched
a fair number of programs with signing simply because that's how the
automatic scheduling has worked out. Just lowering the priority would
mean that unsigned programs would be preferred, but signed ones could
still be recorded if necessary to avoid conflicts.

Similarly, for those with HD (not me yet), a rule to increase the
priority of HD transmissions would result in HD being recorded by
preference.

Yes I know about the potential problems of lowering priorities. My
biggest worry would be over how well such things are flagged in the
UK listings.

I know it could be done manually by creating two rules :
<program match> AND <some condition>
<program match> AND !<some condition>
but with dozens of rules already, that would really complicate the rules list !