[mythtv-users] Reassemble RAID with mdadm

MarcT myrdhn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 20:14:13 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of John Drescher
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:35 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Reassemble RAID with mdadm

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM, MarcT <myrdhn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My next upgrade I may do what one of the other posters said. Put an OS
>> mirror on all drives.
>> This way I could run 6 1-2 TB drives in the system as storage in RAID 6
>> with
>> the OS partition mirrored on the same drives across all 6 disks.
>
> Do you really need 6 copies of the OS? Why not take the 6 OS partitions
and
> make a raid10 with 2 or 3 copies? You'd get more capacity and higher
> performance.

For my reply I meant boot not the OS. I use a separate raid 5 or 6 for
the OS with the raid 1 for the 256MB boot.

John

I thought more about this. While I like the idea, I have logging on and we
also have the database writing to the drives as well.
That was my primary reason for having the OS on separate drives, so that the
database writes do not interfere with the media writes.

The question I have is, would 6+ concurrent HD captures writing to the disks
run into any issues with the database writing to the same disks?

I do like the idea thou of boot being mirrored, OS being raid 5/6 and media
being a separate raid 5/6.

MarcT