[mythtv-users] MythTV in the UK

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 20:17:24 UTC 2010

On 21 March 2010 17:29, Stephen Bridges <widget at stdin.co.uk> wrote:

> DVB-S is pretty disappointing compared to DVB-T though.  There's
> no BBC red button stuff on freesat, as there's not enough bandwidth as it's

When I last configured my DVB-S backend, there were about 10 BBC
interactive channels available on Freesat (plus a couple for ITV). I
used several of the BBC channels during the Vancouver Olympics to
watch sports not carried or delayed on the regular BBC coverage.

DVB-S has a _lot_ more bandwidth compared to DVB-T. How do you think
Freesat support so many channels? In addition to the "crap shopping
channels" Freesat also carries all regional variants of
BBC1/BBC2/ITV1/Channel 4 etc, which are not available via DVB-T.

> full of crap shopping channels.  Signal to noise is a lot lower in terms of
> content.  Unfortunately I don't have Freeview reception in Northampton, but my
> Nova T cards are in a bag ready for the switchover, presumably just in time
> for T2 to obsolete them.

DVB-T2 will not obsolete DVB-T. The HD mux will use DVB-T2, the others
will continue to use DVB-T and your Nova T tuners should be fine for
the SD channels.

Cheers,
Nick

--