[mythtv-users] Non-HD recordings via HD-PVR are huge; can anything be done?

Richard Woelk richardwoelk at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 19 01:00:32 UTC 2010

Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My primary tuner on my system is an HD-PVR hooked to a Scientific
>>> Atlanta HD cable box (SA4250HDC, I think) via component cable. 90% of
>>> my recordings are through this tuner; the other 10% are through my
>>> HDHomeRun. Certain channels, like Comedy Central in this example,
>>> don't broadcast in HD in my area, so I record the SD stream. The
>>> problem is, these recordings are the same size as my 1080i recordings
>>> - A half hour Daily Show episode, for example, is about 2.7GB. All
>>> attempts to transcode thus far have failed, and from what I can tell
>>> from searching the mailing list archives, this is the norm.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to shrink these files, either during the
>>> recording or after the fact? In addition to shrinking the files for
>>> general sanity, I'd love to get mythexport working so I could export
>>> some shows to my iPod but if transcoding is a no-no at this time, I
>>> guess that functionality would not work at this time, correct? Is
>>> anybody else watching HD-PVR recordings on their iProducts?
>>>
>> what if you used the s-video in for non-hd?  I dont have the hd pvr but that
>> would atleast only record the 4x3 video and not the black bars.  You could
>> turn the quality down for SD
>> as well.
>>
>> --
>>

> Hmm, I had thought about that, but can I have more than one set of
> cables going from the STB to the HD-PVR? I need the components hooked
> up for the regular HD channels. I suppose if it were possible I could
> set up a third video source, but how would I tell Myth not to record
> on tuner S-Video when tuner Component is in use?

Matt,
    You can set up a tuner group which locks two tuner inputs together.
It is used in cases where firewire and component or s-video come from
the same set top box.
An easier way would be if your set top box has a feature "4x3 override"
or SD output. From my Motorola STB, this outputs 480i from the
component, which the HDPVR happily records at 800MB/ hr

Richard