[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu frontend upgrade to 9.10 - Myth ignores keyboard input

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Thu Mar 18 19:48:24 UTC 2010

greg at nodecam.com wrote:
> Anyway, usually when the remote gets lost by the kids, we use a usb
> keyboard as a temporary remote.  This was the situation prior to the
> upgrade.  After the upgrade, mythfrontend does not respond to the keyboard
> at all.  I can confirm that the keyboard is recognized by the OS (if I go
> into a terminal, it works anyway) but no amount of keyboard pounding gets
> mythfrontend to do anything.

After I did some updates on a mythbuntu system recently (although not all the way up to 9.10, just to 9.04) I had a problem the symptoms of which are sufficiently similar for it to be possible that you have the same issue.

Some time during the upgrade process the xfce4 session appears to have been saved, such that when the frontend auto-started and whereas it was the only application visible, another couple of applications (update-manager and synaptic) were opened as well and one of those actually had "focus".

So my keyboard and lirc events were being eaten by update-manager, and never made it to the frontend.

Please check whether this is your problem as well by plugging in a keyboard, and with Alt-Tab checking whether any applications other than the frontend are open.

If it is, then close all applications, save your session (i.e. nothing gets started), log out, log in again and see if you're all set.

Cheers, Jan