[mythtv-users] Poor Signal Strength

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Mar 18 15:56:53 UTC 2010

On 18 Mar 2010, at 14:30, Brent Bolin wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Devin Heitmueller
> <dheitmueller at kernellabs.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Simon Faulkner <simon at titanic.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have been trying to get Myth running for several years on and off.
>>>
>>> I now have a Ubuntu box with a pair of Huppauge HVR 3000 DVB-S (T) Cards
>>> which runs really well and I *LOVE* it.
>>>
>>> Thank you to all the folks who have worked to get it this far.
>>>
>>> My slight problems is that I get poor signal strength
>>>
>>> Signal 5%
>>> S/N 4.8Db

<snip>

> My Dvico HDTV7 card does not indicate receiving a signal at all, but
> works just fine.

I did some research a year or two ago with several DVBS & S2 cards, the receiver sensitivity was pretty poor compared to a modern decent make set top receiver.
The Nova S+ was around -65dBm which is as bad as the old QualiTV receivers from an age ago or the newer cheapo Fortec Star Passion.
The HD-S2 & HVR-400 was a little better at -72dBm but still nothing like a decent stb receiver, better than -78dBm is common now.
TT3200 was -68dBm.

So yes, most PC sat cards need more signal than a good modern stb, I'd like to know if the recent cards are any better or maybe worse but I don't have access to a calibrated signal source anymore.
You'd need a significantly bigger dish to make up the difference between -65dBm and -78dBm!!

Of course there are lots of other factors especially inside a PC and sensitivity varies greatly across the frequency range, all the same I overspecced our communal sat feed system here to ensure I wasn't going to have loads of glitchy recordings.

Andre