[mythtv-users] canceled recording (Recorder Failed) mystery

David Gesswein djg at pdp8online.com
Thu Mar 18 00:48:32 UTC 2010

> I have been having a lot of success with the main server using the H21
> box type.

Glad to know things are working better.

> On the secondary server I am still using H20. This doesn't seem to want
> to take H21.

They probably have different revisions of the firmware. One of the directv
menu screens should show you the firmware version. You may
be able to force an upgrade (I have never tried, my D10's upgrade
when they feel like it). If it stays working you may not want to
though whichever has the older firmware will probably upgrade itself
at some time unless they are really different hardware versions of the box.
http://www.hatetatellya.com/2006/03/31/directv-force-software-upgrade/

> So is it possible giving more of a delay can have such an affect? While I
> could start livetv on the secondary server, I couldn't change channels
> either live or scheduled. What do you think?

Its possible that changing the OSD off delay helped if the tuning was failing
with the Excessive channel change retries errors. If it hadn't finished
the channel change when it got the next command it could confuse it.
To be sure you could temporarily change the script back and see if it
stops changing with live tv.