[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestions

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 20:23:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:31 PM, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> MythTV users,

>> I'm contemplating just buying a stock system of some kind rather than
>> assembling something from parts.  Since I've upgraded to two outboard
>> capture devices (HD-PVR and HDHR), I don't really need my old PVR-150 any
>> more and that opens me up to smaller (fanless?) computers with VDPAU capable
>> graphics cards.  In fact, VDPAU (and a reasonable CPU just to run the
>> frontend GUI) are about my only requirements since I can use the HDHR IR
>> pickup via TCP/IP.
>>

> One additional thing I just remembered.  I'm doing channel changes via
> Firewire so built-in Firewire would be pretty important (are there USB
> dongle Firewire devices?  Does that even make sense?).
>
> --
> Mike
>

> I have my current BE system in a full tower case so I have plenty of room
for adding extra hard drives as need arises. (Currently sitting at 4
drives). I used Antec PSUs for most of my PC building career until recently.
I had an older Antec 420 that suffered from bad caps and started doing weird
things. It has been replaced with an OCZ (grossly overpowered, but cheap on
sale) that has performed well for the last few months. My current system is
an Asus MB with AMD785G chipset. It has onboard firewire and graphics (that
I do not use). The CPU is a Phenom II 3.0GHz that can comm flag MPEG2 HD in
realtime. The system can draw up to 120 watts at full load with all drives
spinning and 4 cores maxed out. Peak load at bootup is about 150-180 watts.
I have added an Asus Gefore 9500 card for HDMI out with SPDIF pass through.

My personal thought on the ION systems is they may be great for FE machines,
but I would like to have more power for comm flagging and I prefer the
better VDPAU deinterlacers that the 9500 has. I also prefer a larger case
for more drives.

Cheers,
James