[mythtv-users] IR blaster missing channel changes - Scientific Atlanta 3250

Jeff Artz jeffa.myth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 19:31:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:21 AM, John H <arizonamythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can't seem to get the blaster to change the channel consistently.
> <snip>
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Try adding a 'min_repeat X' where X is something between 2 and about 5
> or 6 in your lircd.conf for the blaster remote.

I refined my IR blasting setup using "Live TV" and changing channels back &
forth to test.  (Hook up a TV or Monitor to your STB for 'real-time'
feedback of how well it's working)

Here's a couple of refinements I had to make to get things working
perfectly:
1) My Home-made blaster 'eyes' were too strong - I had to move them a couple
of inches AWAY from the receiver to avoid over saturating the STB's IR
receiver.
2) One of the pre-made 'stick-on' emitters I was using wasn't 'strong'
enough - I had to tape a small piece of white paper on the tip of it at a 45
degree angle to reflect more of the IR into the receiver. (the IR was
emitted from the end opposite of the wire, instead of going directly into
the receiver)

For one of the receivers I had, I also had to increase the "min_repeat" as
Jarod mentoned.  (Basically that just simulates a human holding down the
button slightly longer, thus repeating the signal "x" number of times.)

Also, if you've got any fluorescent lights nearby (especially the CFL type),
they can cause lots of IR interference.  Sunlight can too.

What is your IR blasting hardware by the way?

J-e-f-f-A