[mythtv-users] Graphic cards supporting VDPAU and sound over HDMI

mythtv at derdev.com mythtv at derdev.com
Wed Mar 17 14:44:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:38:08 +0100, Peter Carlsson
<maillist.peter at home.se>
wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a motherboard with onboard GPU (6150) and am about to buy a
> new graphic card. I have search the MythTV documentation/Wiki and
> this maillist but have not found answers to all my questions.
>
> The machine is a dedicated BE/FE and is not intended for anything
> but MythTV. I would be very happy if someone could answer me.
>
> I would like support for Advanced 2x de-interlacer on 1080p content.
>
> - Will either GT220 or GT240 do the work or is GT240 overkill?
>
> - Is 512 Mbyte more than enough or should I go for 1024 Mbyte?
>
> - Will I notice any differences within MythTV if the card has GDDR5
>   instead of GDDR3 or is GDDR3 fast enough?
>
> My motherboard has an S/PDIF connector which is now connected to my
> receiver. I would prefer to replace this with sound over HDMI.
>
> - Is support for sound over HDMI reliable and do almost any graphic
>   card with a HDMI connector have support for sound as well?
>
> - Any special manufacturers to recommend or advice against?
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

Peter,

My personal experience is that audio over S/PDIF was easier to enable.  If
you already have it working to your receiver, why not continue?

A recent list post concluded that exactly 512MB of GPU RAM is "best" for
VDPAU

My $0.02 USD (before tax)