[mythtv-users] Backend no longer shutdowns when idle on 0.22 upgrade.

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 04:00:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Bryan Bennetts <bryan.bennetts at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running a system with separate FE and BE machines (using gentoo).
>  Prior to upgrading to 0.22, I could shutdown or hibernate the frontend and
> after the usual idle time the backend would shut itself down also.  With the
> hibernate I needed to stick a 'sleep 5' in the hibernate script to give the
> frontend a chance to exit prior to actually hibernating.
>
> I've upgraded to 0.22 and now the backend no longer shuts down when the
> frontend machine has shutdown.  What *appears* to be happening is that the
> frontend machine is powering down before the frontend exits,  I've stuck a
> long timeout in the hibernate script and the frontend just doesn't seem to
> be exiting.  Has anyone seen an issue like this?  Is it expected behaviour
> and I need to change my configuration somehow?  Of course I could be barking
> up the wrong tree...
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bryan.
>
> Interesting.  I was just going to place a message about (almost) the same
thing.  I am running trunk and have observed for the past 2-4 weeks that the
frontend no longer exits cleanly.  I use the menu to exit, which used to
work fine.  Now I end up with several (2-3) children of the frontend hanging
around.  One is sitting on a "futex" wait.  I end up having to do a #killall
frontend to get everything gone so that gdm can restart.

Others see this behavior?

-- Ken E.