[mythtv-users] MythTV in Atlanta

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Mar 16 17:09:29 UTC 2010

On 3/15/2010 10:03, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:30 AM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:
>
>> All of those listed stations except for the local rebroadcasts will be at
>> 480i, as that is the limit the DTAs can handle.  If you want HD, you need a
>> full STB and an HDPVR to capture off of it.
>>
> Or, you can get a cable box with Firewire.  I get nearly all of my
> channels in the clear over both of my Firewire-enabled cable boxes.

Just like ClearQAM, it's hit or miss whether your cableco decides to let
you record over firewire.  There is no regulation over what they have to
provide encrypted, merely that they have to provide a functional
firewire port for customers with a HD cable subscription.  There's no
way prior to testing to know what you might be able to record, but then
it doesn't cost you anything to do so, assuming you have a machine with
a firewire port.  At the very least, it tends to be a more reliable
mechanism for channel changing than using an IR blaster.