[mythtv-users] Non-HD recordings via HD-PVR are huge; can anything be done?

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Mon Mar 15 17:29:16 UTC 2010

Greg Woods wrote:
> The problem with setups like yours, for me, is always how to change the
> channel on the STB. For my HD-PVR, changing channels via firewire works
> quite well, but of course that option is not available

I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm using a Microsoft MCE USB IR receiver that
has two IR emitters. They work just fine with lirc. I also picked up a non-MS
IR receiver that uses the same driver and also works great.

>> Once Comcast enables privacy mode in my area
>
> What does this mean exactly? If they stop transmitting the
> formerly-analog channels in the clear, will they be issuing a different
> type of DTA? Or is there some potentially critial piece of this that I
> am missing?

Although the extended basic channels are being broadcast by Comcast in
ClearQAM in many areas, Comcast has begun encrypting them in some markets. The
assumption is that they will eventually encrypt them in *all* markets.

That's why I setup my DTAs now. When they finally pull the switch in my area,
I'll still be able to record my extended basic channels in Myth.