[mythtv-users] Non-HD recordings via HD-PVR are huge; can anything be done?

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:15:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, I had thought about that, but can I have more than one set of
>> cables going from the STB to the HD-PVR? I need the components hooked
>> up for the regular HD channels. I suppose if it were possible I could
>> set up a third video source, but how would I tell Myth not to record
>> on tuner S-Video when tuner Component is in use?
>
> If you connect the s-video and the component you can link the tuners
> together so MythTV knows if it is using HDPVR Comp it cannot use s-video.
> This was developed for PVR-150/500 tuners with Analog in and s-video but the
> concept is the same and would work.

Unfortunately, Myth does not have control over which of the HD-PVR
connections is used.  I do not know what the HD-PVR would do if it saw
a signal on both the component and s-video inputs, but I would guess
it would use the component in preference to the s-video.

The HD-PVR will record at whatever resolution it sees on the input
(even the component).  So, if the STB auto-switches it's outputs based
on channel resolution, it is just a matter of telling Myth what
bitrate to use for that resolution.

On the other hand, if the STB always outputs a fixed resolution (say
1080i), even for Standard def material, then the HD-PVR would produce
that resolution even for standard def.

On my STB, I have it configured to output 480p for 480i, 720p for 720p
and 1080i for 1080i.  I don't know what other STBs allow you to there.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?