[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR-4000 correct settings

Alan Ferrero alanf at tin.it
Mon Mar 15 14:02:47 UTC 2010

Hi all!

I'm a user of Mythbuntu 9.10 64 bit (which includes MythTV 0.22) and in
need of help to properly setting the WinTV HVR-4000 up.

The MythTV wiki first says:

"As per the the V4L-DVB Wiki, you can't use both the DVB-T and DVB-S
tuners simultaneously. While 0.22 onwards supports cards with multiple
frontends, you must tick the "open card on demand" option in the capture
card settings when adding both DVB-S and DVB-T tuners to prevent errors
like this in your backend log: DVBChan(20:/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0)
Warning: Opening DVB frontend device failed."

However, it's unclear to me which tuner requires this setting (i.e.
ticking the "open card on demand"): DVB-S/S2, DVB-T or (maybe) both?

Then:

"Add the DVB-T and DVB-S to an Input Group of the same name so as to
tell MythTV not to try and record DVB-T and DVB-S from the card at the
same time."

What does it mean, exactly? Do I have to add them to: A) the very same
input group? or B) two different input groups having identical names?

Many thanks for the explainations!

Alan