[mythtv-users] Restarted backend process and my ongoing recording got 'aborted'

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 03:28:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 11:02 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>> On 03/14/2010 08:04 PM, David Whyte wrote:
>>>
>>> The quick question....
>>>
>>> In 0.22 is there a new setting where you tell the backend to resume
>>> recording after a backend restart?
>>>
>>> The explanation....

>>> Quite sometime later, I was actually ready to start watching the
>>> Formula One and was horrified to find that I only had 9 minutes of
>>> recording according to the OSD.

>>> Luckily, the race gets replayed today so I haven't missed it (although
>>> I hope no one tells me the result either :P)  I just wonder if there
>>> is a new setting that I need to check somewhere to get the backend to
>>> resume recordings after a restart rather than abort them.
>>
>> Nope.  This is exactly as MythTV has always worked.  For recordings,
>> MythTV assumes that a broken recording is worse than a later recording.
>>  Therefore /because/ there's a repeat of the episode, it chose to not resume
>> recording the partial episode and instead wait for the later showing.
>>
>> If you wanted it to record the in-progress showing, you simply needed to
>> tell it to "Record anyway" (or whatever the words are)--basically do a
>> recording override for that specific episode that's currently airing.
>
> Oh, and I should have said:  Had there not been another showing of the
> episode in the listings, MythTV would have continued recording the
> in-progress episode (even though it would have gotten only a partial
> recording).  Therefore, you probably see this as a change in behavior only
> because the circumstances of your previous experience differ from these
> (before there was no repeat airing, this time there was).

I had this once. We have a TV3Plus1 channel here, it broadcasts TV3 an
hour behind schedule so those people without a PVR get another chance
to watch.

Sat down one night to watch something that was recording off the first
showing- a one hour show from 9 to 10. Guest was suitably impressed
with mythtv. But then about 40 minutes in I was showing him the
backend in the server cupboard and I accidentally kicked the backend
power plug out and had to reboot. I said (based on the same past
experience as the OP) "It's fine there'll just be a couple of minutes
missing, we'll just carry on."

But then the recording wouldn't play past the first couple of minutes.
Guest went home having missed the last twenty minutes of his favourite
show. I finally figured out that it had started recording the Plus1
showing, and we were starting to watch it just after 10, and that's
why we only had a couple of minutes of it. At that point I became less
frustrated and more impressed :)