[mythtv-users] Restarted backend process and my ongoing recording got 'aborted'

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 00:04:12 UTC 2010

Hi,

The quick question....

In 0.22 is there a new setting where you tell the backend to resume
recording after a backend restart?

The explanation....

Just installed mythbuntu 9.10 (and therefore 0.22) on my new BE this
weekend.  Had the Formula One all set to record and was just
re-imaging my frontend to start watching it last night.

The recording had just started when I realised my remote FE could not
connect to mysql on the BE.  First I re-configure my.cnf to bind to
the correct address and restarted mysql.  This obviously caused some
problems in mythbackend but the recording continued.  I was still
unable to connect from the remote FE

Then, I started mythtv-setup on the BE to check I was binding to the
correct address in there.  This obviously meant I had to stop the
backend process and recording was stopped.  I checked the config,
which was OK, restarted the backend and just assumed the recording
would be restarted, since this was the behaviour I have found for the
past six years of mythTV.

I soon realised I needed to grant permission in mysql for connection
from my network and I was then able to connect from a remote FE.

Quite sometime later, I was actually ready to start watching the
Formula One and was horrified to find that I only had 9 minutes of
recording according to the OSD.  No problem I thought, I just need to
repair the seektable.  Ran mythcommflag over the recording, which took
a very short time (about 10 seconds).

Looking at the size of the file, it was only a couple of hundred
megabytes in size, obviously not what I expected for a 3 hour plus
recording.

Looking in the mythbackend logs, I can see the mysql errors and then
the shutdown of mythbackend.  I can also see where it comes back up
and eventually where I get a remote FE connection.  The comm-flagger
also restarted on the Formula One recording but the recording itself
does not restart.  In the TV guide, the Formula One show is actually
listed as 'aborted'.

Luckily, the race gets replayed today so I haven't missed it (although
I hope no one tells me the result either :P)  I just wonder if there
is a new setting that I need to check somewhere to get the backend to
resume recordings after a restart rather than abort them.

Cheers,
Whytey