[mythtv-users] What's the difference between "record new episodes" and "exclude old episodes"?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Mar 14 20:03:08 UTC 2010

Mike Perkins wrote:
> David Engel wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 02:35:40PM -0800, Kevin Ross wrote:
>>> In the recording rules filter options, we have the choice of
>>> recording only
>>> new episodes, and excluding repeat episodes.  What's the difference?
>>
>> "record new episodes only" matches all programs, old or new, but only
>> records the new ones.  The old ones get marked as repeats in the
>> upcoming recordings and then later in the history.  "exclude old
>> episodes" only matches the new programs and the old ones are
>> completely ignored.  It mostly boils down to a matter or user
>> preference.
> A subtle distinction is that for one of them (I forget which), if you
> tick "show duplicates" in mythweb, you don't see any. This can make
> finding other showings of this title tricky. Learned this one the hard
> way when I missed a recording because I had chosen the wrong option.

Further to this, an example. I have "Wonders of the Solar System" down to record
tonight, along with "Seven Ages of Britain". Both were originally set up as
"Exclude repeat episodes".

If I view my schedule in mythweb, it only shows the first showing (Sunday). I
know for a fact that both these programs are repeated later on in the week, but
there's nothing showing up as a duplicate or rerun (and what's the difference?).

I changed both of these to "New episodes only", and all of a sudden the repeats
appear in mythweb.

Now, it is clear to me that whatever I set the schedule filter to, that these
programs have repeats. So why aren't they showing up in mythweb when "Exclude
repeat episodes" is selected?

(For avoidance of doubt, I only very rarely use the front end to set, view or
update the schedule. Almost all is done via mythweb. Thus I can't comment on the
behaviour of the front end in this matter.)

--

Mike Perkins