[mythtv-users] OSD on known multiplex

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Mar 13 20:38:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-11 at 10:21 -0600, Brent Bolin wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have noticed when moving between channels on live TV the OSD says
> "on known multiplex".

It just means that it is skipping part of the tuning process since it
recently saw this channel in a table the current multiplex*. When this
happens the channel changing is a little bit faster, but it also means
you don't get to see signal quality displayed as it has skipped that
tuning step. There is nothing to worry about if this does or doesn't
happen during tuning.

* In your case multiplex == "frequency", but there are some cases
where multiple multiplexes occupy the same frequencies, especially
with satellite multiplexes.

Admittedly "on known multiplex" is a bit cryptic, but if I had
written something like "skipping frequency tuning step...", I think
too many people would have filed bug reports when it wasn't used
when not changing the frequency. But the shortcut can only be safely
used some of the time, and when we can use it we do use it.

-- Daniel