[mythtv-users] Fwd: Further Notice of Seagate Hard Drive Class Action and Proposed Settlement

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Mar 12 22:01:36 UTC 2010

On 3/12/2010 1:58 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Quite true, all RAM back then had 9 bits. They eliminated the "extra" bit
> either because they realized it was useless, or because they figured out they
> were missing a trick to make more money.

Yep. All IBM RAM. (or should I say Intel 808x based).

A humorous comparison:
My Atari's (and the Mac's I also worked on occassionally) and my friends Commodore units only used 8.

With Intel/IBM gear, I always kind of scratched my head because my job was to repair intel based PC's and they weren't any more reliable because of that 9th bit.

T'was pretty funny.

   -Ben