[mythtv-users] Fwd: Further Notice of Seagate Hard Drive Class Action and Proposed Settlement

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 12 18:26:19 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 01:02 PM, jedi wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 12:40:03PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> Not only does the software cost them nothing (they probably get paid for
>>> including it with drives in a "teaser" version, IOW "CrapWare"), but it's
>>> probably some sort of service that requires monthly payments, thus generating
>>> additional revenue. What sort of a "punishment" is that? This will only
>>> encourage others to produce "defective" products that will generate additional
>>> revenue.
>>>
>>> The cash offering is ridiculously small.
>>>
>>> Sort of like the giant settlement announced today for the WTC workers, the
>>> lawyers will get 33% of the total, the doctors and hospitals about 60%, so
>>> that leaves pennies for the actual victims.
>>>
>> It's almost like Seagate did nothing at all wrong--you know when
>> they told us they sold us a 500GB hard drive and they sold us a
>> 500GB hard drive!  (The nerve!)
>>
>     Yes. The nerve of using a base 10 number to describe an object
> commonly described in base 2 limitations.

Common?  Where?  You mean in MS Windows?  Since when did that become the
official arbiter of unit usage?  Again, MS Windows /is/ wrong!  (Note
how they're not shown on the list at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Software .)

>   Beaurocratic revisionism
> by non-interested busybodies aren't really the point. Seagate
> profited from any potential confusion. They could have shown good
> intent by merely being more explicit in their labeling (as they were
> evetually forced to).

All hard drives from all vendors have always been sold by base 10
sizes--at least since I bought my 80MB hard drive back in the early
90's.  That's called standardization.

I never--from any label on a Seagate hard drive--got the impression they
were using some measurement that differed from any other manufacturer's.

Mike