[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Satellite Provider in North America

P.J. Trudell pjtrudell at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 14:16:38 UTC 2010

I use Direct TV and I have for years.  I have been using it with mythtv for about 2 years.  I like direct tv's service, but some people have disagreed with me.

Currently I am not using HDTV, so I have a 2 Direct tv D12-700 STB putting analog output into a hauppauge 500.  I control the channel changing with 2 serial ports.  It works great.

Eventually I will get a hauppauge HD-PVR and connect the component out it to my H23-600 STB that my wife uses for tv only.  I probably will change channels via a serial port again, but the HD-PVR has a built in ir-blaster wich should save you a few bucks.

It took a little while to get the serial ports to work, but once I figured out how to make the cable, it was easy.

P.J.