[mythtv-users] OT: SSD issues

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 11 18:47:37 UTC 2010

On 03/10/2010 10:33 PM, freedenizen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:27 PM, R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>  wrote:
>> On 03/10/2010 09:52 PM, freedenizen wrote:
>>>
>>> Just in case someone comes across this later, not exactly sure what
>>> the problem was but it is fixed.  I have 2 of the same SSD so I
>>> decided to try everything with the other drive.  Setup partitions,
>>> RAID, copied data over, etc.  Everything worked fine.  Plugged in the
>>> original SSD as /dev/sdb, nothing even happening on that drive, and
>>> got kernel panic during boot.
>>
>> Probably still flagged as a bootable drive, not corrupted at all
>>

> Yes, but sda was marked bootable too, and it was booting off of sda,
> not sdb. I verified as they had different menu.lst

I think that that is the problem for the BIOS. It sees two different
drives marked to boot, but the one IT thinks is #1 is now mounted as #2.

Unless you went into the BIOS and amended the entries. iirc the BIOS may
use UUID's for drives. And you had two which appeared to be the same.
The BIOS however still sees #2 as 'first'.

Not quite sure, but I remember having real problems once when I was
playing with 2 exactly identical files.

Geoff