[mythtv-users] Hard Drive reliability esp. RAID issues

Graham Mitchell gmitch at woodlea.com
Thu Mar 11 04:45:23 UTC 2010

> My guess is that those controller cards and/or the port multipliers are
overloaded. Unfortunately, better cards get expensive fast.

Yeah, I guess the 1x slots are going to be the limiting factor on it. Better
cards aren't too bad, but the motherboards seem to be the issue. My SAN box
for my vSphere setup in the house is running an LSI 8240 card with 8 SATA
drives in a RAID 10 configuration. I didn't really run any benchmarks when I
set it up, but it seems plenty fast enough with Windows Storage Services (I
wanted to play with that, and it's a VMware supported OS).

> You're braver than me with a 17 disk RAID5

I have room for 3 more disks in this box, one of which is going to be
another parity drive (so moving to RAID6), and one is going to be a hot
spare - tho I am in 2 minds at the moment about staying with RAID5 and just
having 2 hot spare drives.

> One of these days, I'll get a managed switch and try link aggregation so
the rest of the network can get better overall speeds to and from that
server.

I have one (and actually a spare one if you want to buy it - lol).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122229. Does VLAN,
static routing between VLANS and 801.13d link aggregation, Plus all 24 ports
are GB. A very nice switch.