[mythtv-users] New Build

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 03:57:38 UTC 2010

On 10/03/2010 7:27 PM, Eric Yanush wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for some insight into my new system build. I was
> originally planning a new backend only system, but have decided to go
> with a combined fe/be.
> I was originally looking at using a athlon II x2 240, but now that I
> have decided to go with a combined fe/be I have completely revised my plan:
>
> Antec NSK2480 case with 380W earthwatts psu
> Intel Core I3-530 @ 2.9ghz
> Scythe Ninja Mini CPU cooler
> 2gb DDR3 Ram
> Nvidia gt220
> WD Caviar Green 1tb HD
> Smaller drive for OS/DB
>
> I was also looking at the gigabyte GA-H55M-UDH2 motherboard, which
> happens to be a shell shocker at newegg today!

Okay, there are a few questions that need to be answered:

Are you doing SD or HD?

If SD, that machine is specced WAY above what you need (My Backend,
formerly combined backend/frontend 'til the graphics card died, is a
Sempron 1600+ (That's AMD Athlon, single core, x86) with a GeForce
FX5200 graphics card, and commflagging is done at ~realtime (if not
faster)).

If you're doing HD, it's probably still a little high, but you will
probably want more hard-drive space quickly.

> I will be utilizing IPTV streams from my isp, (similar to verizon
> fios or att uverse) which will be captured via ethernet. Right now I
> will have to capture devices in mythtv, but I plan on adding two more
> in the near future. Besides mythtv fe/be I plan on using this rig as
> a home media file server, running both xbmc and boxee.

This is the kind of system I'm running right now, using Sasktel's Max
IPTV service (I'm the guy who wrote the guide on the wiki. :) ). I'm
only using SD (No HDTV), with an original XBox running XBMC as the frontend.

> I did consider using an atom based system as my fe/be but was unsure
> about its ability to do any heavy lifting, ie: comm-flagging.

If commflagging uses VDPAU acceleration (I can't remember if it does or
not), then a dual-core Atom could commflag 2 recordings at >realtime. If
not, it'll be a bit slower, though one report listed a single-core atom
flagging HD recordings at 90% realtime speed (Commflagging while
recording), so it's not unreasonable to consider that option too.

> I am wondering about the case and its ability to be cooled quietly,
> and if this system would be overkill, particularly the processor?

Given that the only CPU work that will be done is DB and CommFlagging,
it probably is overload, yes. You could easily scale the whole thing
back and run from an Acer Aspire Revo (For example), at which point the
only snag would be hard-drive space. If you bought (or built) a large
NAS (an old P3 system would be more than fast enough for that), you
could have a silent combined FE/BE hanging from the VESA mounting
bracket on your TV (Booting from a CF card, for instance), and the
(noisy) storage in a closet, or the basement.

That's my $0.02, anyways.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston