[mythtv-users] Hard Drive reliability esp. RAID issues

Harry McGregor hmcgregor at biggeeks.org
Tue Mar 9 02:05:43 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 3/8/10 7:56 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> I am sure you will all have seen issues with RAID and dive failure;
> with the readership of this list. I have just seen this article
> covering the RAID5 issues and RAID6 lifespan.
>
> The highlights are:
>
> Today; RAID 5 with moderate amount of drives is likely to fail during
> a rebuild following a drive failure; this has been well publicised
> because of the error rate of drives.
>
> RAID 6 is the short term solution at the expense of read/write
> performance and second parity hard drive and the associated higher
> costs.

I can say that the issues with large raid sets are very real in
enterprise storage.

Hence why most enterprise storage limits raid sets to 8 disks.

I work on/with one of the few large scale arrays that does not do
that, and it utilizes a distributed mirroring algorithm.

In the full array you can have 168 disks reading and 179 disks writing
data during a drive rebuild, which keeps rebuild time on a 1TB
enterprise class SATA drive failure to less then 30 minute to full
redundancy.

Of course this comes with Enterprise class costs, support, and power
demands.

(http://www.xivstorage.com for more info)
> And the info I thought would be of specific interest here: One drive
> manufacturer specifies a significantly (an order of magnitude) more
> reliable than the other notable brands:

For my home use, I use RAID6, with 14 1TB drives, plus a hot spare.

I am considering moving towards some raid10 groups instead for greater
performance.
>> Western Digital’s Caviar Green, model WD20EADS, is spec’d at 10^15,
> from:
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=805&tag=nl.e539

                    Harry