[mythtv-users] Delete recording from script?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 9 01:23:37 UTC 2010

On 03/08/2010 08:21 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 3/8/2010 18:31, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> How can I delete a recording from a script? Specifically, I have a user
>> job that transcodes a radio program and I want to delete the original
>> recording once it has been trascoded.
>
> There's a lot that goes along with a recording, that all needs to be
> deleted or changed in some manner for things to work right.  Unless
> you want to perform each of these tasks step by step, your only real
> option is to initiate of delete over Myth Protocol. Both the Perl and
> Python Bindings provide methods of performing this.
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/DELETE_RECORDING_(Myth_Protocol)
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/bindings/perl/MythTV.pm#L411
>
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/Python_bindings/Data_Objects#delete.28force.3DFalse.2C_rerecord.3DFalse.29

Where, because the Perl bindings are so low-level and don't do anything
useful for you, the best solution is to use the Python bindings.

Raymond spent a lot of time learning how the protocol works--and spends
a lot of time keeping the Python bindings up to date--so you don't have
to.  :)

OK, in truth, there's one proper solution if you want to use Perl.  You
could update the Perl bindings so that they're as high-level and as
complete as the Python bindings and then use your new Perl bindings.  :)

Mike