[mythtv-users] upgrade to 0.22 problems - database encoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 8 23:42:54 UTC 2010

On 03/08/2010 06:06 PM, Scott Lipcon wrote:
>>> Is this the dreaded partial corruption?    I've tried doing a partial
>>> restore on top of the 0.21 blank.sql file posted here a few months ago and
>>> it still is complaining - this time only 1 warning, in the oldrecorded
>>> table.   Is there any way to find the "bad" characters in the database
>>> backup and fix them by hand?   I really don't want to lose all my recordings
>>> but I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to try next (besides re-installing
>>> 0.21...)
>>>
>> It is definitely corruption.  Because you had tried to reconfigure your
>> MythTV box in 0.21 (where there was no way to test if the reconfiguration
>> worked--as you wouldn't get the errors that only appear on database
>> upgrade), you almost definitely have partial corruption.
>>
>> If it is partial corruption, it just means you'll need to use this fix:
>>

>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding#Partial_vs_.22equal.22_corruption
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/406111#406111
> Thats exactly what I meant by the above paragraph - doing the partial
> restore over a blank database, and it still didn't work....   any other
> ideas?   I've currently moved back to 0.21, but gentoo is about to purge qt3
> &  friends from portage in the next few weeks so I'd really like to get it
> upgraded cleanly.

Ah, I didn't see that you said you tried that solution.  The
partial-corruption fix presumes that you won't have any
irrecoverably-corrupt data in the "critical" database tables (which is
generally a good-enough assumption because of how small those tables are
and how they're used).  Unfortunately, you do.  :(

So, yes, you'll have to fix the row manually.

Mike