[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22 ( SOLVED )

Mike Smith easygreenus at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 8 06:32:06 UTC 2010

My motherboard is a P5GD2 Premium.  I don't know which of the chips provide the USB function.
I know it has the following chips on the MB:

Intel 915P
Marvell 88E8053      One or both of these Marvell is for the dual ethernet  I also have Wireless G on the MB
Marvell 88W8310
TSB81BA3
TI TSB82AA2             I think this is the firewire?
Intel ICH6R                SATA Disk drives, I  think
Silicon Image SiL 3114R     RAid Controller
ITE 8212F                           Raid Controller

The documentation just says it supports six USB 2.0 connections.  Nothing on which chip does it.
When I do lsusb, I get:

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bc2:2300 Seagate RSS LLC
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:4902 Hauppauge
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Which now makes me believe they've been running at USB 1.1 all along.

My new PCI Express USB board that does work fine with both my portable disk drive and
the HDPVR is the:

SYBA PCI-Express 5-port USB 2.0 Controller Card [SD-PEX20019}

I was limited in my choices because PCI Express are the only open slots I have on the MB.

Thanks,

Mike

Readers Digest Version - get a new USB 2.0 card.  For gory
details,  read below.

I think it is solved.  I have been having problems recording using the
HDPVR.   I would just skip large segments of video.  In my case,
it seem more prevalent recording fast action,  like a football or
basketball game.

Right now the problem seems to be with the USB 2.0 built into my
motherboard.

My server sits in a storage room in the basement doing its job,
which is backend stuff.  NFS, Samba, MythTV, LDAP, web server,
etc.  I rarely touch the keyboard.  So, I can't remember ever plugging
anything into the USB until I purchased the HDPVR last fall.

Two weeks ago, I purchased an external hard drive that connects to
the USB.  I have a my data storage mirrored, and I do a backup to
a third drive every night.  I wanted an offsite copy of my data.
I tried to copy a 1.6GB file to the external drive.  After 50 minutes,
I'd only copied around 90MB.  Connected the drive to my wife's
laptop, and a 1.3GB file copied in 84 seconds.  Strange.  Drive
was formatted NT32, for I formatted it ext3.  Still slow.  I connected the
drive to the built-in USB on one of the Mythfrontend PCs.  Copied the
1.6GB file in 90 seconds.

I have no idea what is wrong with the backend server.  I've run USB performance
tests using FC10, FC11, FC12.  I don't think its software.  I upgraded the MB firmware
to the latest available.  No help.

Motherboard is an ASUS P5GD2 Premium.  It has eight external USB 2.0 ports ( 4 back,
2 front, 2 risers I'm not connecting to anything.  I've connected the external disk drive to
everyone ( with and without the HDPVR connected ).  Same sad performance.  No errors
in /var/log/messages, or dmesg.

I took the lazy route.  Instead of spending hours researching the USB on this MB and trying to
get support from ASUS,  I bought a PCI Express USB 2.0 board.  Now, my file transfers are
under 90 seconds.

Best of all,  I recorded a whole basketball game in HD without a single noticeable skip.
Prior to the new board, I would have a skip every minute or two on basketball or football
games.

crow.jamesm at gmail

Feb 25, 2010, 6:04 AM

Post #2 of 2 (158 views)
   Re: HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22 ( SOLVED ) [In reply to]

 On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 1:01 AM, Mike Smith <easygreenus [at] yahoo> wrote:

> Readers Digest Version - get a new USB 2.0 card.  For gory
> details,  read below.
>

> Mike,

Can you post what USB chipset was on the MB and what you replaced it with?
That may help others who search for similar problems.

Thanks,
James