[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Setup and Connecting to an LG TV

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Mar 7 20:14:31 UTC 2010

On 03/05/2010 05:15 PM, Kenneth Emerson wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Brian Blater <brb.lists at gmail.com
> <mailto:brb.lists at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM, Kevin Ross <kevin at familyross.net
>     <mailto:kevin at familyross.net>> wrote:
>     -snip-
>      >
>      > On my LG TV (model 42LG50), to auto config when connected via the VGA
>      > connector, you go to the picture menu, then there is a screen
>     submenu, where
>      > you can auto-config.
>      >
>      > I have since changed to using a DVI->HDMI converter cable.  Also,
>     on my TV
>      > at least, it won't accept a 24Hz signal on the VGA connector (for
>     watching
>      > Blu-Rays at their native 24 fps), only on component or HDMI,
>     which may or
>      > may not be important to you.
>      >
>      > -- Kevin
>
>     Ok, I will look in the picture menu and see if there is some way to
>     auto-config the VGA. Other wise both you and Ken suggested getting a
>     DVI to HDMI converter cable. Where can I get those? Is it something I
>     could find at like a Walmart or Target, or would I need to go to a
>     more specialized store?
>
>     That might be the ticket as the video card does have DVI and the TV
>     has a total of 4 HDMI connectors.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Brian
>
>     Don't know if you'll find it locally; if you do, it will be expensive.
>

> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3308&sku=40321
> <http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3308&sku=40321>

I have a 37"LG and found that the picture was much better using the HDMI
input from a DVI output on my asus nvidia 9500GT based video card. I
have a DVI-HDMI adapter at the TV end. I think it came with the TV or
with a video card, because I cannot remember buying it. If I did, it was
not expensive or I would remember *that*!.

You should be able to find something at a Best Buy or Fry's or even at
Walmart or Target.

If all else fails and you cannot otherwise get the picture where you
want it, firstly you can try using xorg.conf options and set the Option
for 'scaling=centered'. That is described in the xorg.conf man page iirc.

Otherwise, you could try using the virtual screen capabilities of the X
(and nvidia) video drivers. X allows you to define a virtual screen, and
have displays which are windows onto the virtual screen. This is usually
handled by having one screen 'to the right of' or 'above' the other
screen where the virtual screen has one dimension as large as the total
of the lengths of the other 2. One of the screens is set up with an
offset. But there is no reason why you cannot define your monitor's
screen as starting, not at 0,0, but at 15,0. ( I haven't tried it since
I have had no need, but I did have to fight for quite a while with my
1360x768 pixel screen when the edid reported it as 1920x1080. I ended up
with unreadable tiny fonts in console windows etc. I had occasion to
read a lot of man pages very carefully!

Geoff