[mythtv-users] HD3200 build config options

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 7 13:20:48 UTC 2010

On 03/07/2010 03:09 AM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

>>> Thanks.
>>> When I try the ECFLAGS feature, I get:
>>> WARNING! An unknown C compiler flag in: "ECFLAGS". Option(s) will be
>>> ignored.
>>>
>>> This happens even with flags that gcc doesn't complain about. How come?
>>> How can I find out which flags are objectionable?
>>> Or how can I tune successfully for an AMD 235e instead 'generic'?
>>>
>> Don't use CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CPPFLAGS/LDFLAGS or -cpu/-tune/-arch/-march
>> flags.
>>
>> Literally:
>>
>> ./configure --enable-proc-opt
>>
>> (in a clean environment).  Don't try to pretend you know MythTV better
>> than the MythTV configure script.
>>
> Yes, ok, but I do not see any nice x86_64-related, let alone AMD
> 235e-related CFLAGS during the compilation.
> So if the ECFLAGS doesn't work too well, isn't that a bug?
> Because: why not optimize for target XYZ when gcc is already allowed to
> use -O3?
>
> W.r.t. progress: an initial database import worked. tv_grab_nl_py works.
> Next weekend I can transplant the DVB-T PCI-card and make the move to
> the new box.
> It'll still run 0.21-fixes. 0.22-fixes the next step.

--enable-proc-opt chooses the most appropriate*** compiler optimizations
for the processor being used to compile the program.  The flags and
configure arguments mentioned above are only useful for packagers who
compile on a machine to support other (different) processors besides the
one used to compile the program--and require a lot of understanding of
MythTV and ffmpeg to use properly.

Mike

***And will work.