[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Issues

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Sun Mar 7 04:03:11 UTC 2010

Alan Young wrote:
> Ok. That's a good sign that the HDPVR is not bad.
An even better sign is that I hooked it to my main desktop where I kept
(after shrinking) the Vista partition that came with it, and ran the
TotalMedia application that came with it, and it worked just fine.  I
watched about 15 minutes of Palladia in 1080i and 5.1 surround without a
hitch.

>> I then unplugged the USB cable, turned the HDPVR off, plugged in the
>> cable and turned it back on. I see the following from dmesg which looks
>> ok to me:
>>
>> usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 46
>
> This looks like a problem.  UHCI host controllers are limited to USB
> 1.x "full" and "low" speed devices.    You need a controller that is
> USB 2.0 or later to provide USB "high" speed.  If this motherboard
> does not have a EHCI USB controller on board, you'll need to get a USB
> PCI or PCIe card or move to a new motherboard that has a EHCI
> controller onboard.
>
> If the motherboard does have a EHCI controller on board, make sure the
> EHCI driver is being loaded.  You could also check your BIOS settings
> to make sure the USB EHCI controller is enabled and/or USB 2.0 support
> is turned on.
>
> If the EHCI driver is being loaded and lsusb shows USB 2.0 host
> controller hubs, then I'd suspect you may have a bad USB cable.
> There's also a possibility that the controller chip has been damaged
> in some way.  Poor USB port designs are notorious for shorting out via
> static electricity.
Hmm, this is indeed odd.  This has worked before, but I happen to have
several brand new USB2.0 PCI cards laying around (bought for old PC's
with no USB at all and then never used) so I may give that a try.  I
think I have a couple of open slots.

... time passes...

Ok, in goes the new card, and a little lspci detective work, and a doh!
moment, below.

> You might not need to update the firmware, but if you need to you'll
> need to download the windows driver and attach the HDPVR to a computer
> running windows to update it.   This isn't really recommended unless
> you are having some kind of problem or happen to have a really old
> version of the firmware that doesn't support Dolby captures.  If you
> had a old version there would be a different message.  So I don't
> that's the case here.
I updated it to the latest firmware a couple of months ago, and I don't
think it has changed since then.

But, this tells me what has gone wrong.  That last firmware update I
installed was because it fixed the resolution switching problem.  I had
pegged my DCT-6200 box to 480i earlier, and I undid that when I
installed that firmware.  Apparently, the hdpvr works on 1.1 USB at
480i.  I never noticed my USB ports were 1.1 because of that, but
looking with lspci at the motherboard chipset, I found datasheet and it
plainly says UHCI, which is 1.1.

00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1
(rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2
(rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #3
(rev 02)

I added a generic USB card, but I'm not sure what's up with it...

01:03.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 62)
01:03.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1
Controller (rev 62)
01:03.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 65)

I don't know why it says USB 1.1 on two ports and 2.0 on another.  It
has four external and one internal USB headers.  It shows controller 2
as USB 2.0, and lsusb says my hdpvr is on Bus 001 Device 002.

The important thing is I run cat and it records as long as I let it.
And, despite occasionally the audio not coming in, it works in myth now
at full 1080i resolution, even in Live TV.

> Check the controller info above and that should point you in the right
> direction.
Thanks ever so much for your help.  Since I had it working before (but
only in 480i), I never would have suspected a 1.1 USB port.

Jeff.