[mythtv-users] Quality difference between software only and Nvidia XvMC

Erik Burrows erik at erikburrows.com
Sat Mar 6 23:46:56 UTC 2010

Hello All,
I have a mythtv front-end with a Nvidia Quadro FX 580. I've been happily
using it to display 1080i content captured via firewire from cable.
Worked great, no issues.

Today I looked into taking full advantage of the Nvidia chipset's XvMC
capability. Following the instructions at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XvMC, I got it working. Happily, my cpu
utilization was cut by more than half, which is great.

What was not so great, was that the quality of the video playback
suffered. I saw more jitter in the images, and more compression
artifacts.

Is this normal, and to be expected, or is there some sort of quality
control knob I need to turn?

Thanks,
  Erik Burrows

--
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit.
- Mitch Hedberg