[mythtv-users] Partitioning

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Mar 6 21:04:30 UTC 2010

Christopher Meredith wrote:

>  > I am setting up my mythbox today, and I have two hard drives one is 750 GB
>>  and the other is 500 GB...what would be the best way to partition them
>>  should i put / on the 500 then /var/lib/mythtv on the 750 and /var/lib/mysql
>>  on the 500?
>
>Why put / and /var on different partitions?

So that when* /var fills up, it doesn't bring the whole system down
with it - potentially corrupting your root filesystem while it's at
it.

* Yes I know it shouldn't fill up, but it's not hard for something to
use a bit more space, or use it a bit more quickly, than your
expected. I've had it a few times over the years.

Personally, I'd have / as a real partition, /boot if you are old
fashioned and set in your ways like me, as real partitions. I'd stick
the rest of the 500G drive in an LVM group and stick /var on that
(nice and easy to resize if needed). I'd probably also stick
/var/lib/mysql on a separate LVM volume. That'll leave 400G+ which
I'd allocate to video storage.

On the 750G drive I'd make a partition large enough to store a
complete copy of the running system less the videos - and set up a
cron job to duplicate the running system to it on a periodic basis.
Better still, use something like Storebackup to keep more than one
version. The rest I'd allocate to video storage. Not sure if I;d make
a separate LVM group for it (ease of resizing), or just use plain
partitions (better performance ?).

That's what I'd do anyway. At the moment my Myth backend runs as a
Xen DomU and all filesystems are on LVMs expoerted as block devices
from the Dom0.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon
part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a
dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the
printer OS on it.
This is NOT the same thing as the printer drivers to load on the
computer - there's no problem there.
If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful -
requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years.
Alternatively, if anyone has one of these and would let me image
their hard disk ...