[mythtv-users] tivo patents cover mythtv?

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 16:34:53 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM, robert Larson <dewmanstl at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMHO:
>
> I highly doubt it. I don't think the mythv developers ripped off code
> from Tivo. They have better things to do.....

But this is a patent issue, not copyright. Patent infringement doesn't
require copying of code, only using the method or process described in
the patent. That's why they're so dangerous. I don't know enough about
the ins and outs of patent law to have an opinion whether MythTV is on
thin ice, but I know enough to be concerned. Even if MythTV doesn't
infringe, that won't stop TiVo from trying, if it thinks there is
something be gained from it.

I agree with Brian that software patents are cause for serious concern.