[mythtv-users] 32 or 64 Bit

Laurence Huizinga lhuizinga at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 5 02:19:16 UTC 2010

I have a slightly noob question about this 32/64 bit idea.  I have a
Pentium D 830 and am running 64 bit Archlinux and MythTV.  This works
ok, but my cpu gets a little warm and the fan too noisy for my liking.
I have two tv cards, a DVICO Fusion Lite HDTV and a Leadtek Winfast
DTV1000T.  I think I am right in saying that these cards have 32 bit
interfaces.

Therefore, if I change over to 32 bit Linux on this system, where the
main cpu task is to decode dvb (to decode with one cpu perhaps and watch
or decode another stream with the other core) from these cards, Would I
get better performance or should I stick with 64-bit??

The reason I ask is that this CPU is not "pure" 64 bit from what I have
read, but still works ok in my estimation.
Larry