[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Issues

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 02:02:12 UTC 2010

Alan Young wrote:
> You should be able to change them with the v4l2-ctl command.  And as
> root, I think you can change them by echoing the value into the file.
> To set the defaults when the driver loads, they are set through module
> parms.  Where the parms are specified I think it might depend on the
> distribution.  For Fedora, I have a file in /etc/modprobe.d.  I call
> it hdpvr.conf and it looks like:
>
> options hdpvr default_audio_input=2 default_video_input=0
>
> After you make that change, you can rmmod and modprobe the hdpvr
> driver to pick up the change and then restart mythbackend or just
> reboot the box.
Ok, I added the options to my local.conf, rmmod hdpvr then modprobe
hdpvr and checked the values by looking in /sys/module/hdpvr/parameters
and they seem to have taken.  I then did another cat /dev/video0 >
test.ts and this time it would capture for 17-20 seconds (I tried
several times) before the blue LED would go out.  My backend has crappy
Rage128 video, so I copied the files to my desktop, and they play fine,
with audio.

I then unplugged the USB cable, turned the HDPVR off, plugged in the
cable and turned it back on.  I see the following from dmesg which looks
ok to me:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 46
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=2040, idProduct=4902
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 1-1: Product: Hauppauge HD PVR
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: AMBA
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 00A28B49
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: untested firmware version 0x12, the driver might not work
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: device now attached to /dev/video0

I tried capturing with cat again, and again I got about 17 seconds of
capture, then the bright blue light went out and the file stopped
growing.  I dug around in the system log viewer and didn't see anything
dmesg didn't give me.

I then added the hdpvr_debug=1 to my local.conf and tried it again a
couple of times, but I couldn't figure out which dmesg results were a
product of which trials, so I rebooted the server.

Trying again, I got about 15 seconds of capture, and dmesg showed this:

hdpvr 1-1:1.0: config call request for value 0x700 returned 1
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: config call request for value 0x800 returned 1
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: transmit worker exited

That didn't look very useful, so I guessed maybe the hddvr_debug number
had some control over how much debug was displayed, so I changed it to
255 and rmmod and modprobed and tried again, got another 17 seconds of
capture and dmesg had this:

(I don't know what came before this, the scrollback buffer didn't go
back that far)
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: hdpvr_read:498 buffer stat: 1 free, 63 proc
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: hdpvr_submit_buffers:205 buffer stat: 0 free, 64 proc
(repeated many times)
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: hdpvr_read:498 buffer stat: 1 free, 63 proc
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: hdpvr_submit_buffers:205 buffer stat: 0 free, 64 proc
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: config call request for value 0x800 returned 1
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: transmit worker exited
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  1: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  2: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  3: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  4: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  5: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  6: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  7: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  8: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0:  9: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 10: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 11: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 12: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 13: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 14: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 15: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 16: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 17: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 18: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 19: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 20: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 21: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 22: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 23: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 24: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 25: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 26: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 27: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 28: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 29: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 30: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 31: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 32: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 33: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 34: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 35: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 36: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 37: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 38: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 39: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 40: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 41: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 42: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 43: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 44: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 45: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 46: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 47: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 48: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: 49: got 8192 bytes
hdpvr 1-1:1.0: used 49 urbs to empty device buffers

And that was it.  I'm not sure where to go or what to try from here.

Jeff.