[mythtv-users] Filesystem type / partition layout advice?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:54:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 13:26 -0500, Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
>> What type of partitioning schema would everyone recommend for a 750GB single drive to be used in a combined FE/BE system.
>
> For a single 750GB drive for a MythTV only system I'd just use a single
> large XFS partition.

I made the mistake of putting XFS as / once and paid for that for a
few months. XFS is very slow with small files. Specifically deleting
small files takes a lot longer on xfs than anything else. Also xfs
does not check your filesystem at boot and this can lead to corruption
causing an non bootable system.

> ext4 has poor performance with the latest kernels and doesn't have
> an online defragmenter yet.

I have not seen that yet.

John