[mythtv-users] 32 or 64 Bit

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:41:34 UTC 2010

On 26-2-2010 17:43, Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
> What is everyones opinion I am going to start building my new FE/BE
> system next week, and I noticed that the mythbuntu distro comes in 32
> and 64 bit arch.  What would everyone recommend?

General guidelines (roughly in order):
If software (or hardware drivers) require 32 or 64 bits, use that.
Up to 2 GB memory: 32 bits
Processes over 2 GB memory usage: 64 bits.
msWindows up to 4 GB memory: 32 bits
Linux from 3 GB upwards: 64 bits
msWindows from 4 GB upwards: 64 bits

The above is general. I donnot see myth to be any different. Only if you
use huge amounths of video processing (transcoding and such), you can
use the memory and addressing of 4 GB and 64 bits.

CBee